Forum 5 week 5: Profile subject and how they interact with other people

My profile subject is Jerry. I still have to get his last name, because I forgot to write that down last time I was around him.

Jerry is an older Korea veteran who has limited mobility in his legs, but he is full of energy and charisma. Something that I find interesting about Jerry is that he refuses to talk about his time in Korea.

I walked into his room, like I always do at the end of the day to say goodbye, and I asked him if it would be okay if I wrote a story about him. Jerry greeted me with his usual, "HI BABE!" and I could tell that he was in a good mood. He told me that he would love to be my profile subject, but suddenly he got really quiet and told me that, "I don't talk about Korea though." He was really intense for a second but then quickly regained his signature Jerry grin and sipped on his fourth cup of coffee that day.

The nurses and caregivers at the Veterans Home absolutely adore Jerry. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the homecoming King in high school or the star of the football team, because he has a kind charisma that is infectious.

A normal day for him would be to wake up-sort of late, ask for a cup of coffee, play his farm game for hours - literally, and then maybe wander around the home talking to his friends and people he knows in the others parts of the building.

I was so exhausted one day at work My energy levels were so low that I felt as if I could fall over and into an infinite slumber. I was taking a trash out when I saw Jerry strolling by me out of the corner of my eye with a coffee in his hands. He noticed that everyone was pretty tired that day, so he sent one of the caregivers to dutch bros and brought me a coffee.

He keeps his room pretty clean, and he cannot live without peppermint gum, coffee and popcorn. He has a chair that he sits in while he plays his farm game WAY too close to the television. Jerry has a childlike presence about him. He says that he plays his farm game, because he likes making money on it.

"I'll be making money until the day I die," he said.

There are layers to him, and with his love for dancing and smiling, he brightens most everyone he sees days.


Comments

Popular Posts