Edna Buchanan: What Have I Learned From Her?

Week 8: 



Edna Buchanan: What Have I learned From her? 


 The most important thing that I have learned from reading "The Corpse Had a Familiar Face," is that to be the best, a journalist has to have the utmost dedication for what they do. I also learned that the most important part of reporting is having confidence in yourself. Edna Buchanan hardly ever gave up, even when people refused to be interviewed. She never lost sight of the mission and she had great confidence in herself regardless of individuals trying to discourage her from pursuing a story. Basically, she let go of insecurities and focused on getting the best story that she could get.  

I will use these lessons in my life as a journalist by committing to every story with the same passion to tell the truth. I am aware that I am not a naturally gifted news reporter, but I am going to work harder than I have in the past and I am going to remember that I am working towards a story solely to inform. I think if I use what Edna has taught me as an approach to my every day news reporting, than I will be a better reporter in general. 

Working on my confidence is what I am going to do next. I admire Edna Buchanan for her persistence to tell a story quickly and with accuracy, but interviewing and building vital relationships in order to get a story is going to be a challenge for me. That is something that I am going to work on. I plan on pursuing more interviews and I am going to work on my ability to keep my reporter cap on all time time. That way i'll always be searching for a story. For example: Instead of just planning scheduled interviews for my tuition story, I am going to keep my eyes peeled for comments or conversations about the topic from students and staff.

My favorite part about this book is Edna's writing style in general. The book itself was so captivating, because her approach to writing is so journalistic. Meaning that she is super to the point. She gives you just enough information to make you feel as if you are there, but she does not bother with too much back story at all. I learned a lot about writing from her as well. "Gary Robinson died hungry." Famous quote by Edna, but it really signifies the power of how she writes. 















































































Comments

Popular Posts