Week 6: Forum Post

BLOG FORUM QUESTIONS FOR WEEK 6:

TOPIC 1: MY HOMETOWN -- Next week’s assignment is to post three photos from your “hometown” -- a news or feature photo of an activity; an environmental portrait; and a landmark, preferably with people in it.

As you embark on this quest, answer these three questions:
  1. What town/city are you going to photograph and WHY?
I am going to photograph the city of Lebanon, Oregon. The reason that I am going to photograph this city is because I feel like it is mildly underrated. There are aspects of this city that make it amazing, such as the small family ran businesses downtown and the close knit community that this town promises. There are a lot of individuals who live in Lebanon for a big chunk of their childhood and adult lives. I love the history that comes within a smaller town. 


  1. List 3 ideas for photos that you could take: one portrait subject; one landmark; and one activity.
I think I am going to focus on a fairly popular landmark to photograph. I think I will take pictures of the local donut shop in downtown Lebanon called Sugar Vibes. The small business is steadily growing and has even caused more than just the locals to visit the trendy new donut shop. I feel as if this locally owned small business really captures the "vibes" of the city. As far as portraits go, I think I will focus on capturing the workers of the business. The activity that I will possibly photograph is a high school sporting event/event. I feel as if small towns really focus on their high schools. I think capturing a high school event would be of significance while portraying the small town history of Lebanon, Or. 
  1. Which one of these photos will pose the biggest challenge for you, and explain WHY.
The environmental portrait. I think it is always difficult to find great lighting, setting, and camera settings for a great portrait. 

TOPIC 2: TWO PHOTO STORY IDEAS (See assignment explanation below) --  Begin thinking about the Photo Story that you will do to culminate this term in Photojournalism.  A Photo Story is a photo series that takes multiple visits to your subject.  it will be comprised of 5 photos, including at least one overall, one medium and one closeup. 
Examples from past terms include behind the scenes of a local play; homeless in Corvallis; a day on the beat with a cop; firefighter training; neighborhood portraits; dance team gets ready for state finals; behind the scenes of the farmers' market -- from field to dinner table ... 

Outline TWO photo stories that you could do for your final assignment.

First, answer the questions:
    • 1. Who? A photojournalist for a small-- local paper such as the Albany Democrat Herald. 
    • What? I would be shadowing this journalist-- while they were on the job
    • When? Evenings - weekends, or whenever they were available 
    • Where? Albany, Oregon 

Second, describe how you would go about documenting the subject, and what preparations or arrangements would be necessary to pull it off.

- The first thing that I would do to make this happen is get permission from a photo journalist that preferably works around the Albany, Or area. Once I got permission I would shadow them sequentially for about two or three days of their work. I would take their portrait and their mug shot and then I would document what they did with a notebook -- and document what/ how they were taking their photographs. 


2. 
Who? Fast food workers- around the area
What? I would be interviewing and photographing people who work in the fast food industry
When? nights and weekends- 
Where? McDonalds - Taco bell etc

-The first thing that I would do when photographing for this assignment is to interview individuals who work in the fast food industry prior to asking their permission. I would then ask to go into their work environment a little bit and capture their pictures. My ultimate goal for this assignment is to disclose the truth about the industry. I know there are many misconceptions, and I have my own opinion of the industry -- but it would be eye opening to here the stories of others who work in the fast food business. 











Comments

Popular Posts