Forum post week 5:

  • Tell what you think of Addario's adventures/work in chapters 2-7.

Addario's work has really inspired me personally when it comes to the content that I wish to capture as a photographer in training. I was not really sure what I wanted to photograph before I was introduced to this class and to the war photography that Lyndsey Addario captures. I now am really inspired to dig deeper into the content that I take pictures of. I was particularly interested in the era of her career after 9/11. She seemed completely changed by by that in general. Her pictures, such as the picture she took of the women that she took pictures of in Pakistan right after the devastation happened. I find her images amazing, because she quite literally captures the emotion of the individuals effected by the tragic event. 



  • What two things have made an impression on you? Explain!
 The first thing that has really made an impression is how close she gets when taking her pictures. She captures so much emotion. I almost am taken back and feel as if I am experiencing the reality of the photo. I think that is the ultimate goal when taking a picture, to capture the utter emotion of an individual in its rawest form. Lindsay Addario made an impression on me, because she showed me that a picture does not need to be perfectly composed to be perfect.


  • What lessons can you apply in Photojournalism? What techniques can you use? 


One of the biggest lessons I can apply is to get as close as I can to the action. The closer the better, because photography will not be realistic if the photographer is not close enough to the scene to get an accurate representation of the scene itself. 

  • What personal sacrifices do see that Addario has made to pursue her profession? 

Addario has made many sacrifices in her profession. First of all, she risks her life a lot when going to different countries that are under war. Secondly, she leaves her husband and her child while being away for months. Her job is not certain, and she has no idea when she has will have a paid job or when she will be going somewhere that could be dangerous to her. She makes sacrifices every day in her profession, but she loves what she does and is an inspiration. 

  • What's your favorite quote (copy and paste it!) and why?  

I found this quote on page 15 by Lyndsay, "The truth is that a few of us are born into this work. It is something that we gather accidentally. something that happens gradually." I enjoyed this quote because she explains that there are some journalists who fall into the work and there are some that just discover it. 

  • What's your favorite photo(s) and explain why?

My favorite photo is on page 189 of the book. It's a picture of a mother with her two children looking out of the window with the light shining through the window. I really liked this picture because its very dark but the light coming through the window adds an intense feel to the portrait. I just think its very intriguing. 


Comments

Popular Posts